Thursday, February 16, 2023

Bring on the Bad Guys: The Weather Wizard

Real name: Mark Mardon

First appearance: The Flash I#110 1/2 (Dec./Jan. 1959)

Abilities: Weather control

Worst act: Murder, attempted murder  

Quote: "On a hot day like this a little rain feels good! And when I feel like a little rain--I make it rain!"

Created by: John Bromme (script), Carmine Infantino (pencils), Murphy Anderson (inks)


Another long-time reoccurring foe, and boy; I have to say I love the old villain skillsets. Escaped con Mardon finds his dead brother's lab and the man's research. "I have the power to control weather! I'll rob a bank!"

None of this should work, but it does. 

Granted, there have been a bit more character development since 1959, usually making Mardon worse and giving him various children. I admit I didn't care for the Rogues killing the Flash (Bart Allen), but I did like Mardon's horrified reaction.

I suppose that is an issue though, in that he and the rest of the Rogues are usually shown as little more than thugs with gimmicks, but Mardon comes across as less developed than Captain Cold. Honestly, they are a bit similar in character which can cause some issues in character development.





No comments:

Post a Comment