Saturday, February 11, 2023

Bring on the Bad Guys: Gorilla Grodd

Real name: Grodd

First appearance: The Flash I#106 1/2 (April/May 1959)

Abilities: Psionic capabilties, super strength 

Worst act: Murder, attempted coup 

Quote: "Since I left Africa I've been using this park as my base, traveling around...searching...for the greatest mind in the world! "

Created by: John Bromme (script), Carmine Infantino (pencils), Joe Giella (inks)


He's a gorilla!

He's a terrorist!

He's a gorilliaist!

Gorilla Grodd is one of those pure silver age ideas that probably wouldn't have worked anywhere else, but dang if he doesn't just scream DC. I read somewhere that DC noticed a sales spike when gorillas were on the cover, so someone must like the concept. 

The new 52 was less than stellar, but that did make me appreciate the older works all the more. Grodd is usually beaten and imprisoned in Gorilla City but there is always a sense that he is just biding his time until he gets out again, and there will be a next time...





No comments:

Post a Comment