Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Bring on the Bad Guys: Captain Boomerang

Real name: George "Digger" Harkness

First appearance: The Flash I#117 1/2 (Dec. 1960)

Abilities: Boomerangs, inventing boomerangs 

Worst act: Murder, attempted murder, theft, possessing an outrageous accent  

Quote:  "Well, sink me if this isn't an incredible coincidence! Here I was just prepared to launch myself on a new chapter of my criminal career--using a boomerang!--when I read this advertisement!!"

Created by: John Bromme (script), Carmine Infantino (pencils), Murphy Anderson (inks)


Joining the ranks of Two-Face, Lex Luthor, the Cheetah, Sportsmaster/Solomon Grundy, and the Mad Mod, we take a special look back at one of my favorite foes for the 22nd. 

A guy that absolutely shouldn't work, yet somehow does. Harkness first started out as a toy salesman. Yeah, seems a toy company banks on boomerangs being the next big thing, so they decide the best way to hock them would be with Captain Boomerang!

So Harkness pops over from the Outback and auditions for the fellows and soon has a job as a national spokesman. He's still a crook though, although now he has a fancy costume.  

So he decides to claim that someone is clearly impersonating him, then he knocks out the Flash and ties him to a giant boomerang.

He's committed to the bit, you have to give him that. 

I love this guy. His appearance in the Suicide Squad really allowed the character to shine; shine as a bigoted, cowardly jackass but shining all the same. 



 


No comments:

Post a Comment