Saturday, January 12, 2019

Chiller, or why I don't work for televsion

I admit a wee bit late on this, as the tv channel Chiller went dark on December 31, 2017, but I've had time to think.

Chiller, for those not in the know, was a channel devoted to horror. Much like Sci Fi was to science fiction, so Chiller would be to horror. Heck, they were even made by the same group.

So what did I find every time I tuned in? Mostly third tier crap that Sci Fi passed on and endless reruns on reality shows. Ever once in a while they might air Bride of Re-Animator but that was few and far in-between.

What happened? I mean, this wasn't some fly by night operation. This a project of NBC/Universal. Where were the Universal Monsters? Where were the classics? The horror hosts?

Even the Sci-Fi Channel had the occasional host. If they could get Apollo Smile for a few weekend shows, surely they could have gotten Elvira or anyone else.

I suppose that was my biggest problem. Everything felt like a rerun. When the X-Files got cycled through on SyFy they'd end on Chiller. What was the point? Where were the round tables? Was Rob Zombie too busy?

I suppose that was my biggest problem in that they just SyFy lite. All of their shows had been on the same channel too.

In the end, can there be a horror channel? I think so. There would be reruns of course, and the old classics, but surely the old can exist with the new, and I'm not talking about showing some Asylum knock off zombie flick.

No comments:

Post a Comment