Monday, April 28, 2014

Horror Host 2013 Retrospective: Dr. Bela Zarbo


Dr. Bela Zarbo

Real name:  Marvin Wheatley

Years active: 1971, Corpus Christi, Texas


From here we move into the more obscure. Wide Scream Theatre ran on KIII Ch.3 in Corpus Christi for about a year in 1971. The host was Dr. Bela Zarbo, but that seems to be about all that can be found. No photos or video clips have survived and what articles point to his existence seem to have dried up roughly around the late 90’s.

The few memories that exist don’t paint a terribly good legacy for the man. He was recalled by a few, but nothing in particular about his character, act, or even if the show was any good. There is nothing of the films, although since the show aired in 1971 we can assume it was the standard black and white Shock package with maybe Night of the Living Dead being thrown in there.

Sadly, much like Dungeon Doug, Dr. Bela Zarbo is a lost host. 

7 comments:

  1. I met him as a kid in corpus he was really nice I was given like 30 of the ties he wore I remember he pulled up at the house in a real hearse as a kid I was freaked out ...As for his name my mom never told me his real name and she passed away,,But like I said he was really nice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Do you remember what he looked like? I was unable to find any photos or even a good description.

      Delete
    2. I want to say he had salt and pepper hair I know he was skinny. I am going to try and see if my aunt can give me any info or see if he is in one of our old photos...But like I said he was nice to me I wish I would have kept all those ties but I was a kid and didn't know better

      Delete
  2. I lived in Corpus when he was on tv. He actually came to my 6th grade graduation dance at Montclair elementary. Curly hair, salt and pepper, but he wore makeup. Whiteface and dark black eyes and gaunt cheeks. He stayed in character the whole time. Loved his show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lived in Corpus when he was on tv. He actually came to my 6th grade graduation dance at Montclair elementary. Curly hair, salt and pepper, but he wore makeup. Whiteface and dark black eyes and gaunt cheeks. He stayed in character the whole time. Loved his show.

    ReplyDelete
  4. His name was Marvin Wheatley, I wrote an article about him and Wide Scream Theatre last October for the Corpus Christi Caller-Times (http://www.caller.com/news/local/338483552.html). Wheatley died in 1998.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This name came to mind dr. Bella Zarbo came to my mind I didn't know why
    Then I look up he's name on sires . Then I fund out about corpus and KIII tv �� I used to live in corpus , never meet that man don't know what he looks like.
    I've been in Colorado for 19 years

    ReplyDelete